On 21 May of this year PKP CARGO S.A. concluded with the company Pojazdy Szynowe PESA Bydgoszcz S.A. an agreement for the repair of 38 series ST44 diesel locomotives in the years 2019-2020. The agreement value is over PLN 176 million net. The largest Polish freight carrier also signed a letter of intent with PESA regarding the construction of a dual-mode (electro-diesel) locomotive and an autonomous locomotive and an agreement for leasing a locomotive with a Dual Power module from Rail Capital Partners.
As a result of repairs carried out on the fifth level of maintenance, the ST44 locomotive will receive, inter alia, a new engine that gives significant savings in the consumption of diesel and engine oil. The scope of the repair also includes a comprehensive modernisation of the driver's cab.
- PKP CARGO S.A. consistently continues the process of rolling stock modernisation. As a result of the implementation of the agreement signed today, the Company will have a total of 89 series ST44 locomotives standardised in terms of design. Modernisation of diesel locomotives will enable us to create a better offering and further optimise transport during intensive works on railway lines - emphasised Czesław Warsewicz, President of the Management Board of PKP CARGO S.A.
- We have the satisfaction that we can continue the process of modernisation of ST44 series diesel locomotives for PKP CARGO S.A. Already, in the years 2008-2012, we modernised over 100 of these vehicles, including 51 for Cargo. Experience gained during this period, as well as modern technologies used by us and a professional crew, guarantees full and timely fulfilment of the concluded agreement - stressed Krzysztof Sędzikowski, President of the Management Board of PESA Bydgoszcz S.A.
PKP CARGO S.A. is interested in introducing into its railway rolling stock dual-mode locomotives (diesel-electric), which can be powered both from a diesel generator set and, depending on needs, from the traction network. This solution allows you to run the same locomotive on electrified lines and unelectrified ones. The letter of intent also expresses interest in the construction of an autonomous locomotive. In Europe, intensive design work is currently being carried out in the area of autonomous freight trains, and cooperation in this area between PESA and PKP CARGO would be part of the process of building an innovative transport of the future. Signing a letter of intent proves that PKP CARGO S.A. and PESA give innovative solutions for rail transport a significant place in their plans and strategies.
- A dual-mode locomotive will eliminate the need to change the locomotive from electric traction to diesel and vice versa, which will shorten the time of delivery of goods and reduce transport costs. In addition, there will be no need to involve an additional locomotive to perform manoeuvres at stations. Possession of dual-mode locomotives will allow PKP CARGO S.A. to become an even more competitive entity on the freight market. Furthermore, work on an autonomous locomotive is in line with both the modernisation of our rolling stock and the process of implementing innovative technologies - said Czesław Warsewicz.
- We are pleased that the largest Polish rail carrier is working with us on the construction of a new type of dual-mode locomotive and an autonomous locomotive, which will certainly improve this work - added Krzysztof Sędzikowski.
In order to optimise the transport process in some roads PKP CARGO S.A. is interested in using electric locomotives equipped with a so-called Dual Power module i.e. a small power generator set, used to power the locomotive instead of power from the traction network, enabling trains to run on short sections of non-electrified railway sidings, i.e. primarily to perform manoeuvring work on loading and unloading at railway sidings of clients.
In an agreement signed with Rail Capital Partners Sp. z o.o. - the company established by Pojazdy Szynowe PESA Bydgoszcz SA and Państwowy Fundusz Rozwoju for the purpose of renting out locomotives produced by PESA Bydgoszcz (so-called rolling stock pool) - PKP CARGO S.A. leases, in the form of a short (one-month) pilotage, one 111Ed type locomotive (from the Gama family of locomotives) with a Dual Power module for testing and assessing the suitability of this type of vehicle for the freight transports operated by the Company.
- This is a very important moment for us, we start cooperation with PKP CARGO SA, the largest Polish freight operator. The PFR and PESA joint venture, that is RCP rolling stock pool, is to serve this purpose - the cooperation of domestic producers and carriers. I am convinced that this is the beginning of a long, shared path of our companies - said Ireneusz Kozłowski, President of the Board of RCP.
- The letters of intent and agreement signed testify to the high importance attached by the Management Board of PKP CARGO S.A. to the modernisation and upgrading of the railway rolling stock. To a significant degree, modernised rolling stock and locomotives with a Dual Power module, and in the near future also dual-mode and autonomous locomotives, will introduce the Company to a definitely higher level of development. In this way, we want to become a leader in innovation in rail transport - summed up President Czesław Warsewicz.